The time has come. The shallow talks about weather and sports have passed and you have dived into the deep art of spiritual conversations. The window for the good news of Jesus has been opened. GULP.
What do you say? If you are like me, you want to make sure you get it right. You want to give them the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the TRUTH.
However, the temptation is to talk about too much or too little. You talk about grace but forget sin. You talk about sin but forget grace. You talk about what the Bible says on current topics and issues and yet forget to present the Gospel itself. Above all, we want to make sure we get the good news of Jesus out. Here are 8 ways to memorize the Gospel. They are not exhaustive but serve as a good road map for presentation.
- God, Man, Jesus, and Response:
- God. God is the creator of all things (Gen. 1:1). He is perfectly holy, worthy of all worship, and just. As a result, he will punish those who break His law (1 John 1:5 & Rom. 2:5-8).
- Man. All people, though created good, have become sinful by nature and deed (Gen. 1:26-28, Ps. 51:5, Rom. 3:23). From birth, all people are alienated from God, hostile to God, and subject to the wrath of God (Eph. 2:1-3).
- Christ. Jesus Christ, who is fully God and fully man, lived a sinless life, died on the cross to bear God’s wrath in the place of all who would believe in him, and rose from the grave in order to give his people eternal life (John 1:1, 2 Cor. 5:21, 1 Cor. 15:20-22).
- Response. God calls everyone everywhere to repent of their sins and trust in Christ in order to be saved (Rom. 10:9-10).
- (Some of this material has been adapted from The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark
Dever, p. 43)
- Good, Guilt, Grace, God’s People, and Gratitude:
- GOOD: Humankind is created in God’s image. We have purpose, meaning, and dignity.
- GUILT: Humankind inherits and earns guilt because of sin and separation from God.
- GRACE: Grace is what we experience when we experience Jesus as our substitute. He took our punishment.
- God’s People: We are saved from sin, Satan, death, and wrath. But we are also saved to a covenant community of believers that are essential to our Faith.
- Gratitude: As a response to this grace, we live for God to enjoy Him all the more. Because He has loved us we serve Him and love Him.
- (This material is summarized from Kara Powell, author of Sticky Faith).
- The Roman’s Road:
- Creation– Romans 1:20-21
- Sin– Romans 3:23 & Romans 6:23
- Salvation– Romans 5:8
- Response– Romans 10:9-10 & Romans 10:13
- 3 Questions:
- Why are we here? Genesis 1:26 & 1 Cor. 10:31
- What is wrong? Romans 3:23 & 6:23
- What’s the answer? Romans 5:8 & 2 Cor. 5:21
- He lived the life we should have lived, he died the death we should have died, and paid the price we could not pay.
- The law-maker became the law-keeper for the law-breakers. ~ Tullian Tchividjian
- Virgin Birth, Virtuous Life, Vicarious Death, Victorious Resurrection, and Visible Return of Jesus.
- If all else fails, ‘Jesus Saves Sinners’.
Again, these devices are not exhaustive but they should get you going and help you navigate the conversation. Please, always present this message with love. Here is another word of encouragement: It is GOOD NEWS. Go share it!
For God’s Glory,
Question: What ways do you utilize to memorize or share the Gospel?